This is a super simple recipe that can be made very flavorful with adding a few spices, herbs or seeds. It is great on its own. I will list the base recipe first and then list some suggested ideas for different flavors.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (gluten free a/p flour would work well here also)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup olive oil
butter or coconut oil to grease the pan
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Put the flour, salt, warm water, and olive oil in a bowl, and stir until all the flour is absorbed. It will be very doughy, stir by hand untill it is just all combinded (don’t over-mix, should take less than a minute.
3. Take a cookie sheet, the largest one you have, and grease with butter or coconut oil.
4. Put the dough on the tray and smooth it out to a even layer. I used a rolling pin with some oil on it, then some flour, whatever works for you. Don’t worry about having perfect edges, rustic is good.
5. Take a knife and cut the dough into rectangles or squares…whatever makes you happy. Sprinkle the top with a bit more salt (optional)
(You could also roll these out onto some parchment paper and use cookie cutters to create shapes…would be a fun project if you have little ones around)
7. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden. The crackers will become more crispy after they cool a bit
The potential variations for this recipe are endless: cheese, herbs, nuts and seeds, spices. You could add about a tablespoon of sugar or stevia and a teaspoon of cinnamon and I bet that would be good. In the picture we added a teaspoon of onion powder, a tablespoon of chia seeds and a tablespoon of sesame seeds.
If you end up with a fantastic combo please let me know!